If a chum or relative is suffering with an issue on their iPhone, iPad or Mac, or simply desires to display you one thing cool or bizarre that the software is doing, however you’ll’t be there, display sharing turns into your highest good friend. A pal in want with a damaged Mac is a chum certainly, and you’ll earn a large number of brownie issues by way of solving it remotely.
It’s now not at all times conceivable to pop spherical and assist a chum or circle of relatives member out, however in this day and age it is more uncomplicated than ever to assist them remotely. A macOS characteristic referred to as Screen Sharing allows you to troubleshoot any person’s Mac downside from the relaxation of your home (and Mac). With Screen Sharing you’ll view your good friend’s display, and spotlight the buttons and icons they want to use to repair it.
Alternatively, in all probability you might be on the lookout for some way to percentage a presentation to your Mac to your collegues’ iPads or iPhones. We’ll have a look at some apps that may permit you to do that under. You may additionally need to percentage your Mac’s display to your iPad – wherein case a brand new characteristic arriving in macOS Catalina in 2019 will passion you. You can learn all about How to use an iPad as a 2nd display to your Mac right here. When the brand new characteristic arrives it is possible for you to to both reflect your Mac’s display onto your iPad – mainly gaining entry to macOS to your iPad – or it’s essential prolong your display to the iPad, for more space and the addition of contact display capability to your Mac!
In this selection we are going to have a look at various tactics to view the display of a Mac from some other Mac, an iPad, or an iPhone. For broader recommendation in this matter see How to entry a Mac remotely. Additional reporting by way of Lucy Hattersley and Keir Thomas.
Method 1: Use Screen Sharing on a Mac
If you are each on Macs, one of the best ways to entry and management your good friend or colleague’s display is to use the screen-sharing characteristic constructed into macOS.
- Run a Spotlight seek (Cmd + Space) and input ‘display sharing’ – it is going to be offering to autocomplete as soon as you could have typed within the first couple of letters. Double-click the icon at the proper to release the characteristic.
- A discussion field will seem with a unmarried box, labelled ‘Hostname or Apple ID’. Enter your mate’s Apple ID. An invitation can be despatched to them. (In reality, in case your Contacts record for that particular person contains the proper e-mail cope with, you’ll simply kind the primary couple of letters in their identify, after which make a selection them from the autocomplete choices introduced. Contacts who’re arrange appropriately for this may occasionally have their names highlighted in blue.)
The invitation will seem as a notification to your colleague’s Mac; they will have to click on Accept.
Then make a selection both ‘Control my display’ or ‘Observe my display’ (relying on whether or not they would like you to be in a position to see what is going on or if truth be told management their Mac) after which Accept.
Your colleague’s desktop will seem to your desktop as a window. (If they are the usage of two displays, as is the case under, this window can be double-width.) If your colleagues decided on ‘Control my display’, you’ll if truth be told click on at the home windows and icons inside of Screen Sharing and management the opposite Mac at once. This allows you to repair any issues your self.
- In Control Mode you’re going to in finding that efficiency is suffering from the rate of each your networks, and the opposite particular person’s web connection. So you could have to be affected person. (By default, Screen Sharing adjusts the standard relying at the efficiency of the community.)
- You can zoom out and in, and if you want to improve your privileges from staring at to controlling, you’ll click on the lefthand possibility (a cursor inside of circles) on the peak left of the window, labelled Control. This will ship an additional request that your colleague can settle for or decline. (If this is not showing, click on View > Show Toolbar within the menu.)
When you are completed, click on at the Screen Sharing icon in both Mac and make a choice End Screen Sharing.
Method 2: Access a Mac with Messages
You too can troubleshoot a chum’s Mac the usage of the Screen Sharing characteristic in Messages. Screen Sharing has been a characteristic of iCloud, and earlier than that CellularMe, for various years. But again when Mac OS X Mavericks introduced, Apple prolonged this to come with your mates. With Screen Sharing you don’t distant management the opposite Mac at once, however you’ll view the show and spotlight portions of the display whilst speaking your good friend in the course of the repair.
Here’s what you want to do.
- You each want to signal into iCloud (so that you each want to have Apple IDs and know your password). Click on System Preferences > iCloud and remember to’re signed in (if now not, input your Apple ID and Password and click on Sign In). Click on Create Apple ID for those who shouldn’t have one. Your good friend can even want an Apple ID, and you’re going to want to know what it’s. To in finding out their ID, it’s essential communicate to them the usage of FaceTime, and ask them to click on System Preferences > iCloud and skim out the e-mail below their identify (it incessantly, however now not at all times, is an iCloud.com e-mail cope with). Once you are signed into iCloud and feature your good friend’s Apple ID you are excellent to cross.
- Open Messages to your Mac. Tell your good friend to open the Messages app on their Mac too.
- Click New Message and Enter their Apple ID into the To box (you’ll additionally click on on them within the Messages Sidebar if in case you have up to now been the usage of Messages to chat to them).
- Click Details within the top-righthand nook.
- Click at the Share Screen icon (two small rectangles).
- Choose Ask To Share Screen from the Drop Down Menu.
- The different particular person gets a notification asking to percentage their display. Tell them to click on Accept. If you don’t seem to be of their contacts they’ll even have to click on on Accept in a caution display.
- A window will seem to your desktop showing their display. Meanwhile an icon seems of their Menu bar with an alert announcing “[Person] is viewing your display.
- Click at the window (showing their display) the usage of your mouse to spotlight a part of their show with a focus circle. This can be utilized to indicate portions of the display that they want to click on on.
- Use this spotlight whilst speaking to them at the telephone, or FaceTime, to information them in the course of the working gadget and display them which buttons to click on and menu choices to make a choice.
Method 3: Remote entry a Mac the usage of Chrome Remote Access on an iPad/iPhone
If you are the usage of an iPad (particularly) or an iPhone (for those who assume you’ll be able to be in a position to make our any element at the smaller display) then the usage of distant entry to view and management what is to your good friend’s Mac is a superb possibility. And one of the most highest tactics to remote-access a Mac from an iPad is to use Google’s loose Chrome Remote Access carrier, which helps you to remotely use Mac methods from an iOS software.
It’s rather an concerned procedure to set it up the primary time, however simple if you wish to have to do it once more in long term. You’ll want the Google Chrome internet browser for Mac, and a Google account. If you have not were given those already, you’ll obtain Chrome right here and join a Google account right here.
How to arrange Chrome Remote Desktop on a Mac
- Open Chrome and cross to Chrome Remote Desktop at the Chrome Webstore.
- Click Add to Chrome, then Add App.
- Click Allow, then Continue.
- Hit Get Started below My Computers, and make a selection Enable Remote Connections, Accept and Install, then OK.
- Double-click the chromeremotedesktop.dmg record on your Downloads folder, then double-click the Chrome Remote Desktop Host.pkg icon that looks in Finder. Click Continue, Install, input your Admin password and click on OK. Click Close.
- Return to the Chrome Remote Desktop window and click on OK. Enter a memorable pin and click on OK.
- The Chrome Remote Desktop Host Preferences window will open. Click the lock icon. Enter your Admin password (click on OK) and your PIN (click on Enable).
- Click OK within the Chrome Remote Desktop window. Close the Chrome Remote Desktop window, Chrome Remote Desktop Host Preferences window, and Google Chrome home windows.
How to arrange Chrome Remote Desktop on an iPad or iPhone
- On your iPad, you’ll be able to want to obtain the Chrome Remote Desktop app.
- Open the app, faucet Sign In and input your Google ID (the similar Google ID as the only you logged into at the Mac)
- Select the fitting Mac pc within the My Computers window. Enter the PIN we selected previous and faucet Connect.
- There are another superb iPad remote-control apps in the market, however maximum of them fee a per 30 days charge, which is why we go back to Chrome Remote Access.
- We have a look at this manner in additional element in a separate article: How to distant entry a Mac from an iPad without spending a dime
Method 4: View Mac on iPad or iPhone with VNC Viewer
Accessing a pc at the identical community as your iPad, iPhone or iPod contact is most often only a subject of coming into the native community IP cope with or pc identify when brought about within the apps mentioned under.
However, getting access to your pc from out of doors the house or place of work is extra difficult. You’ll want to configure your router in order that the related ports are handed via to the pc you wish to have to attach to. You’ll in finding guides on-line.
It’s additionally sensible to configure a dynamic DNS carrier as a way to attach by the use of a hostname somewhat than an IP cope with, which is vulnerable to converting. Examples of dynamic DNS products and services come with NoIP and DuckDNS, that are without spending a dime, however how they are configured is once more out of doors the scope of this text. There’s many guides to be had on-line – simply seek the usage of your router type quantity and “dynamic DNS”.
How to arrange your Mac and iPad for display sharing
macOS makes use of the established Virtual Network Computing (VNC) protocol to percentage a desktop remotely, so any iOS app that helps VNC will paintings. There are rather a couple of of those, in reality, however one of the most highest that still occurs to be loose is VNC Viewer.
- Before the usage of VNC Viewer you’ll be able to want to configure the Mac you wish to have to attach to: put a tick along Screen Sharing within the Sharing element of System Preferences.
- Click the Computer Settings button and make sure there is no tick along both of the 2 headings you spot.
- Note the cope with indexed underneath the heading that reads Screen Sharing: On. You’ll want it to attach in a second. It’s additionally a good suggestion to observe your Mac’s IP cope with in case the usage of this cope with does not paintings – click on the Apple menu, grasp down Alt (Option on some keyboards), and click on System Information.
- In the window that looks click on the Network heading within the record on the left, and glance along both Wi-Fi or Ethernet on the proper relying on which your Mac is the usage of.
How to attach to your Mac (or PC) from iPad or iPhone
- On the iOS software open the VNC Viewer app and click on the plus icon on the peak proper. In the conversation field that looks, kind the cope with you came upon within the paragraph above, and within the identify box kind one thing memorable and identifiable equivalent to Mac Desktop.
- Click Done, after which the Connect button. You’ll be warned you are the usage of an unencrypted connection. This is unlucky however there is not any manner to keep away from it, so faucet the Connect hyperlink on the peak proper of the window.
- You’ll then be brought about for the username and password of the Mac account you wish to have to log into. You will have to kind the “quick” model of your username – most often your first identify, or the primary entire phrase of the longer model of the username.
- You’ll attach in an instant and notice a guidelines panel appearing some management tips. However, briefly, the mouse cursor is represented by way of a small dot and also you “shove” it round – push up at the display, as an example, and anywhere the mouse cursor occurs to be it is going to additionally transfer up. It can take somewhat of having used to. Tapping at the display is the identical of clicking. Use the pinch-expand gesture to zoom out and in of the desktop.
- To make a keyboard seem for typing, faucet the keyboard icon at the toolbar on the peak of the display.
- To disconnect from the distant Mac, faucet the X icon at the toolbar.
If you wish to have to attach to a Linux desktop, you’ll set up a VNC server package deal (simply take a look at your distro’s package deal archive), and the similar VNC Viewer app can be utilized to attach as described above.
Method 5: Connect to Windows computer systems from iPad or iPhone
Microsoft has a shocking selection of apps to be had for iOS and certainly one of them is Microsoft Remote Desktop. This means that you can remotely attach to the desktop of Windows computer systems. It’s without spending a dime.
In standard Microsoft style now not all variations of Windows have Remote Desktop compatibility in-built; you’ll learn a listing of suitable OSes right here.
- Before the usage of Remote Desktop you’ll be able to want to make sure it is activated at the Windows pc you wish to have to entry. This may also be finished by way of clicking Start and typing Allow Remote Access To Your Computer.
- Then click on the access that looks within the effects, and click on Allow Connections Only From Computers Running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication (More Secure).
- Then click on OK.
- You’ll additionally want to know the IP cope with of the Windows pc. Click Start, then kind cmd. In the DOS field that looks, kind ipconfig and hit Enter. In the output, search for the road that reads IPv4 Address and make an observation. Then shut the DOS field.
- Start the Microsoft Remote Desktop app to your iOS software and click on the plus button within the peak proper, then make a selection Add PC or Server. In the PC Name box, kind the IP cope with you famous previous. Tap the User Name box, then faucet Add User Account. Now kind the username and password of the Windows pc you wish to have to entry, and faucet Save, after which Save within the mum or dad conversation field. Then faucet the icon to your new connection. You’ll be requested in an instant if you wish to have to settle for the protection certificates. Tap the transfer along Don’t Ask Me Again after which faucet Accept.
- You’ll see the distant PC’s desktop and your fingertip strikes the mouse cursor. To transfer to contact controls, as though the usage of a touchscreen PC, faucet the IP cope with toolbar on the peak of the display, and make a selection the choice on the backside proper at the sidebars that seem. To convey up a keyboard for typing, faucet the keyboard icon within the toolbar on the peak of the display.
- To disconnect, faucet the toolbar after which faucet the X on the left of the thumbnail list on the left of the display.
Method 6: Just use FaceTime
If all of this appears like an excessive amount of of a trouble, do not fail to remember you’ll at all times fall again at the easy possibility. If you are each the usage of Macs and you wish to have to see what is taking place on their display, why now not simply get them to get started a FaceTime name with you, after which level the digital camera on the Mac display?
Obviously this manner does not permit you to if truth be told entry or management the display, and if you wish to have to see what is going on in actually exact element it isn’t the most suitable choice. But if they only need to display you one thing bizarre, the most simple manner might be the most efficient.